The Mason men’s tennis team was edged 4-3 for the second straight match, this time at the hands of Navy. The Midshipman improved to 5-4 on the season while the Patriots drop to 3-3.
Navy took the first point after winning two of three doubles matches played at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis, Md. The teams split the No. 1 and 3 matches with the Patriots winning at No. 3 as Chris Borden and Jimmy Davis won 8-5. The point would be determined in the No. 2 match as Tanner Baine and Taylor Sargent would battle Navy’s Dan Blake and mark Calvin to a tie-breaker set, but lose 8-7(7-2).
The Patriots and Midshipman split the six singles matches. Winning their match for Mason were Jimmy Davis at the top spot, Baine at No. 5 and Nick Barker at No. 6.
Mason returns to the court on February 28 at Duquesne.
Tennis Match Results
George Mason vs Navy
Feb 23, 2014 at Annapolis, Md.
(Tose Family Tennis Center)
Navy 4, George Mason 3
1. Davis, Jimmy (GMU) def. Jones, Austin (NAVY) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Lange, James (GMU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Hill, Joe (GMU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Capitel, Aaron (GMU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Baine, Tanner (GMU) def. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) 6-3, 6-1
6. Barker, Nick (GMU) def. Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) 6-4, 6-3
1. Jones, Austin/Pecor, Thomas (NAVY) def. Hill, Joe/Lange, James (GMU) 8-3
2. Daniel, Blake/Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Baine, Tanner/Sargent, Taylor (GMU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Borden, Christopher/Davis, Jimmy (GMU) def. Gaines, Alex/Jana, Krishna (NAVY) 8-5
George Mason 3-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,3,2,4,6,1)