George Washington University
Location: Washington, DC
Distance from Mason: 19 miles
Colors: Blue and Buff
Fight Song: Hail to the Buff and Blue, tolled twice-daily by bells atop Corcoran Hall, at 12:15pm and 6:00pm.
Athletics Website: http://www.GWSports.com
Athletics Twitter Handle: @GW_Sports
Joined A-10: 1976 (as the Eastern Athletic Association)
Mason Connection: Roland Houston, assistant men's basketball coach, served as an assistant coach for seven years at GW. Mason women’s basketball assistant coach Tajama Abraham Ngongba (’97) played for the Colonials before playing in the WNBA. She earned the 1997 Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Year Award and was a Kodak Honorable Mention All-American and was inducted into the GW Athletics Hall of Fame in 2004. Tajama’s older brother Nsilo Abraham played basketball at Mason (1997-99).
- Arnold “Red” Auerbach, Basketball Hall of Famer, former president and coach of the Boston Celtics
- Kerry Washington, actress
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, former first lady
- Colin Powell, former U.S. secretary of state
-The George Washington University was created in 1821 through an Act of Congress, fulfilling George Washington’s vision of an institution in the nation’s capital dedicated to educating and preparing future leaders.
-The Civil War transformed Washington, D.C., into a growing urban center. During war, most students left to join the Confederacy, and the college’s buildings were used as a hospital and barracks. Walt Whitman was among the war volunteers on the campus.
- George Washington’s campus, in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of Washington, is located just four blocks from the White House.
- With Mason joining the A-10, a new crosstown conference rivalry was established between the Patriots and Colonials. The other ones include Richmond-VCU and Saint Joseph’s-La Salle; all three pairings are separated by less than 20 miles.
What would you call the rivalry? Tweet @MasonAthletics using #AroundTheA10 and we will post some of the best ideas to GoMason.com!
George, the Colonials' mascot