The Richmond Spiders defeated the Patriots in men's tennis today at the Westhampton Tennis Courts in Richmond, Va. The Patriots drop to 11-6 while the Spiders improve to 10-9 on the season.
The Patriots won the doubles point after winning matches at No. 2 and 3. By identical 8-6 scores, the duo of Scott Keaton and Jimmy Davis won at No. 2 and Jordan Dyke and Chris Borden at No. 3.
In singles action, Richmond jumped out to a 3-1 advantage after two-set wins at No. 1, No. 4 and No. 5 positions. Mason's Jimmy Davis at the No. 2 position started the match with a 6-3 first-set win, but the Spiders Jesse Feder secured the match point winning the next two sets, 6-1, 6-2. Aaron Capitel went three sets as well for the Patriots, but lost to Justin Baker at No. 6 singles, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
The Patriots host Hofstra at the RAC Courts on Saturday at 11:30 am.
1. Fauchet/Dunbar (UR) def. Baine/Sargent (GMU) 8-2
2. Keaton/Davis (GMU) def. Feder/Nahon (UR) 8-6
3. Dyke/Borden (GMU) def. Baker/Trent 8-6
1. Dunbar (UR) def. Dyke (GMU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Feder (UR) def. Davis (GMU)3-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Nahon (UR) v. T. Baine (GMU) 4-6, 7-6, 3-0 DNF
4. Fauchet (UR) def Keaton (GMU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Trent (UR) def Sargent (GMU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Baker (UR) v. Capitel (GMU)6-4, 2-6, 6-4