|Women's Tennis Splits Matches at 6th Annual Mason Invitational|
George Mason women's tennis hosted Georgetown and Mt. St. Mary's in the 6th Annual Women's Tennis Invitational on Saturday.
In the first match of the day Mason fell to Georgetown 0-5 but got very strong performances from Brittany Pilkington, Kiersten Pappas and Ashley Delaney. Mason was without the services of two of their starters, Liza Davis and Maya Hicks, for the entire tournament because of injuries.
Georgetown defeated Mt. St. Mary's 5-0 in the second match of the round robin tournament.
Mason defeated the Mountaineers in the afternoon match 6-1. The Patriots swept the doubles and then took five of the six singles matches.
"We use this tournament to get more match play and to experiment with doubles combinations, commented Coach Stephen Curtis. "I was very pleased. This will get us more prepared for the Hampton Roads Tournament next weekend."
Georgetown 5, Mason 0
1. Hamlin/Panerese (GT) def Pappas/Pilkington (Mason) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
2. Sekely/Pratt (GT) def Londen/Dewberry (Mason) 6-3, 6-2
1. Comolli (GT) def Delaney (Mason) 7-5, 6-4
2. Jaeger (GT) def Erdenebat (Mason) 6-3, 6-3
3. Perz (GT) def Desiatnikova (Mason) 6-3, 6-1
Mason 6, Mt. St. Mary's 1
1. Pappas/Pilkington (Mason) def Pinchoff/Conroy 8-5
2. Delaney/Erdenebat (Mason) def Landini/Rossi 8-5
3. Londen/Desiatnikova (Mason def Draper/D'Agostino 8-3
1. Pilkington (Mason) def Pinchoff (MSM) 6-0, 6-1
2. Pappas (Mason) def Conroy (MSM) 6-4, 6-4
3. Delaney (Mason) def Deane (MSM) 6-0, 6-3
4. Landini (MSM) def Erdenebat (Mason) 6-3, 6-4
5. Londen (Mason) def Smith (MSM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Desiatnikova (Mason) def D'Agostino 6-0, 2-6, 10-7