Official Online Store
Sage Mini Plans Banner Ad
Play Video
(Photo by George Mason Athletics)
Buy Photo
Allen's Buzzer-Beater Layup Lifts Men's Basketball Over BU, 48-45
Courtesy: George Mason Athletics
Release: 11/24/2012

Print RSS

FAIRFAX, Va. - Junior Bryon Allen drained an up-and-under layup along with the bonus free throw at the 0.2-second mark to lift the George Mason men’s basketball team past visiting Boston University, 48-45, on Saturday afternoon at the Patriot Center. The victory improves Mason’s record to 4-2, while the Terriers dropped to 0-5 on the season.

The Mason offense was paced by redshirt junior Johnny Williams who had 10 points and eight rebounds along with a game-high three steals, the lone Patriot scorer in double figures. Classmate Sherrod Wright scored nine points along with a team-high nine rebounds, part of a Patriots effort that out-rebounded the Terriers 41-36. Allen had five assists, a game-high, while sophomore Erik Copes swatted three blocks.

Leading the way for BU was Travis Robinson who scored 17 points including four 3-pointers. Both teams offenses struggled from the field, with Mason holding a 36.4-to-28.3 percent field goal shooting advantage. The Patriots, though, were just 2-of-16 from beyond the arc, compared to a 7-of-26 day for the Terriers.

BU led for the most of the final eight minutes of the contest, up by four inside of three minutes remaining before the Patriots comeback effort came to fruition. Allen hit a jumper at the 2:16 mark to cut it to 45-43, and with 42 seconds remaining, freshman Marko Gujanicic pulled down a missed Terrier 3-pointer and was promptly fouled. In a 1-and-1 situation, Gujanicic sank the first and hit the back end to tie the score at 45.

The Terriers needed two timeouts before they could inbound the ball, and with 13 seconds remaining, Maurice Watson, Jr., dribbled the ball out of bounds in front of his own bench to return possession to the Patriots. As the game clock was close to expiring, Allen took the ball up the court and weaved his way through the right side of the lane, hitting the game-winning shot and converting the bonus after being fouled by Malik Thomas.

It was a game that was marked by proximity, as neither team led by more than two possessions and there were nine ties and 12 lead changes. BU was held without a field goal for the final three and a half minutes of the game, while the Patriots mounted the comeback.

Next up for the Patriots is a trip to the Ocean State, where they will take on the University of Rhode Island on Wednesday night at 8 p.m., in a game that will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network.